Williams leads Ark.-Pine Bluff to 73-59 win over Alabama A&M
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Larry Williams had 18 points to lead Arkansas-Pine Bluff to a 72-59 win over Alabama A&M in the Southwestern Athletic Conference quarterfinals Thursday.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (13-17) will face Mississippi Valley State in the semifinals Friday.
The Lions started the second half with a slight five-point lead, 36-31, but then went on a 14-3 run to widen their lead to 16 points. Alabama A&M didn’t get any closer than 11 points for the rest of the game.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff had three other double figure scorers. Marcelle Goins had 13 and Cory Norman added 11. William Byrd chipped in with 10 more points and nine rebounds, as the Lions outrebounded the Bulldogs 43-30.
Alabama A&M’s Mickell Gladness was the game high-scorer, with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Trant Simpson added 11 more points. None of the other Bulldogs managed to score more than five points.
- Williams leads Ark.-Pine Bluff to 73-59 win over Alabama A&M
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?