Kingsley scores 26 as Stephen F. Austin beats Texas-San Antonio
KATY, Texas (AP)—Matt Kingsley scored 26 points and grabbed 11 rebounds as Stephen F. Austin rallied in the second half to defeat Texas-San Antonio 71-60 Thursday in a first-round game of the Southland Conference tournament.
Gerald Fonzie added 19 points for the top-seeded Lumberjacks (26-4).
Stephen F. Austin trailed Texas-San Antonio 31-26 in the first half as the Roadrunners (13-17) shot 66 percent from the field.
But the Lumberjacks began to get the game in hand in the second half after opening with a 5-0 run to tie the game at 31-31.
With Southland Player of the Year guard Josh Alexander struggling from the field, Stephen F. Austin turned to Fonzie on the outside and Kingsley underneath to control the second half.
Kingsley had 18 points in the second half. Fonzie added 11.
Alexander was held to 9 points on 2-of-13 shooting from the field.
Texas-San Antonio freshman guard Devin Gibson, the league’s top freshman this season, was the only Roadrunner player in double figures with a game-high 27 points.
- Louisville-Cincinnati Preview
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case