Givens’ free throws clinch 56-55 win for Jackson St over Soutehrn
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Catraiva Givens made two free throws with six seconds left as to clinch a one-point win for Jackson State over Southern University Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.
The Tigers (13-19) will face Alabama State, which beat Texas Southern 67-49, in Friday’s semifinal game.
After starting the second half with a seven point advantage, Jackson State held its lead until Southern (11-19) pulled ahead, 47-46, on a 3-pointer by Joe Holliday with 5:32 to play. The lead went back and forth after that, staying within three points. The Jaguars led 55-54 when Steffon Wiley fouled Givens, sending him to the line to make the game-winning shots.
Game high scorer Darrion Griffin led the Jackson State with 18 points, and Jeremy Caldwell added 12 more. Grant Maxey snagged 11 points for the Tigers.
Barry Honore’ led Southern with 16 points and eight rebounds, and Chris Davis chipped in with 11 more.
- Miss You, Patrick Mills: Brief niche sensation
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case