Cal State Fullerton beat UC Riverside in Big West quarterfinals
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP)—Josh Akognon led a balanced offense with 20 points to help Cal State Fullerton beat UC Riverside 81-69 in the quarterfinals of the Big West Conference tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center on Thursday.
Fullerton forward Scott Cutley, a co-Big West player of the year, finished with 10 points and five assists while Frank Robinson added 19.
Third-seeded Cal State Fullerton (22-8) never trailed and led by as many as 18 points.
The Titans, who tied a school record with 21 regular season wins, will play second-seeded Cal State Northridge (20-9) in a semifinal game on Friday.
Larry Cunningham scored the Highlanders final nine points and finished with 23 points for seventh-seeded Riverside, which ended its season 9-21.
Although Riverside out-rebounded Fullerton 39-23, the Highlanders committed 18 turnovers compared to the Titans’ nine. Fullerton shot 51.8 percent from the field and made six of nine 3-pointers in the second half.
The Titans, who finished in a three-way tie for first place in the Big West, won both regular season meetings against Riverside by an average of 20.5 points.
The Highlanders committed 10 turnovers in the first 10 minutes and trailed 35-14 at halftime.
- Yahoo! Sports All-American Team
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case