Cunningham leads UC Riverside over UC Davis, 75-66
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP)—Sean Cunningham scored 22 points as UC Riverside defeated visiting UC Davis 75-66 Saturday night to earn the Highlanders a place in the Big West Conference tournament.
UC Riverside (8-20, 4-12 Big West) outrebounded the Aggies (9-22, 2-14) 28-16 in what amounted to a play-in game for Wednesday’s Big West tournament, which takes eight of the conference’s nine teams.
Dominic Calegari scored 22 points and Mark Payne added 15 for Davis.
The Highlanders led 27-25 at the half, as both teams started the evening cold offensively, each shooting less than 50 percent from the floor to that point.
Playing in his final home game, Riverside’s Larry Cunningham scored 12 points. Cunningham will leave the Highlanders as their all-time minutes leader.
Kyle Brucculeri added 12 points for the Aggies.
Trailing by as much as 10 with less than two minutes to play, Davis managed to cut the lead to just five at 69-64 with :31 left to play.
The Highlanders were considerably hotter from the floor in the second half, shooting 71 percent (15-for-21).
- From the Archives: The best Larry Bird cover ever
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner