SFA clinches top Southland seed with 58-52 win over UTSA
SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Matt Kingsley’s 17 points and eight rebounds led Stephen F. Austin to a 58-52 win Saturday over Texas-San Antonio.
Coupled with a loss by Lamar, the victory gave the Lumberjacks (25-4, 13-3) a share of its first Southland Conference title and the No. 1 seed in next week’s conference tournament.
UTSA (13-16, 7-9), which clinched the No. 8 seed, will face the Lumberjacks again Thursday in the tournament.
Gerald Fonzie scored 12 points and Josh Alexander added 11 for SFA.
The Roadrunners were led by Devin Gibson’s 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Isaiah Allen added 13 points.
SFA led 36-29 at halftime and had increased the margin to 15 midway through the second half. UTSA put together a 12-0 run to cut the deficit to 49-46 with 2:54 to play, but the Lumberjacks hit 7-of-8 from the foul line in the final minute to seal the victory.
- Wake Forest recruit Aminu shot the right woman with a BB gun
- University of Louisville president's resignation accepted
- NCAA rules Florida's Gak ineligible to play in 2016-17
- Iowa State's Prohm adds former Alabama coach to staff
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges