Green’s 21 points leads SE Louisiana past Lamar
HAMMOND, La. (AP)—Kevyn Green scored a game-high 21 points, including five 3-pointers, and Dekyron Nicks added 11 more as Southeastern Louisiana handily defeated Lamar 83-73 in a Southland Conference matchup on Saturday.
The Lions shut down Lamar’s perimeter shooting in the final regular-season game to clinch the No. 4 seed in the league tournament that begins next week and will meet Northwestern State. Lamar (19-10, 13-3 SLC), the top shooting team in the league, shot 39 percent for the game and went 5-for-18 from behind the 3-point line.
The Cardinals, who finished in a first-place tie with Stephen F. Austin, slipped to the No. 2 seed and will face Texas-Arlington (18-11, 7-9 SLC) on Thursday.
With 1:13 left in the first half, Lamar tied the game at 35-35 on a jumper by Justin Nabors. Southeastern’s Howard Austin then hit one of two free throws and Nicks scored on a layup as the Lions took a 38-36 lead into the half.
Currye Todd, who scored 15 points for Lamar, tied the game at 38-38 on a layup with 18:50 remaining in the game. But a 3-pointer by Green and an alley-oop dunk to Patrick Sullivan pushed the Lions’ lead to 43-38 and Southeastern never trailed again.
Sullivan had nine points and tied a career-high with five blocked shots for Southeastern.
Nabors led Lamar with 16 points off the bench while Kenny Dawkins had 12 and Brandon McThay added 10. Sanders, who was held to eight points, grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds for Lamar before fouling out in the final minute.
- Green's 21 points leads SE Louisiana past Lamar
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four