Goldwire paces surging Charlotte past fading Rhode Island, 74-64
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. (AP)—Leemire Goldwire scored 34 points and Lamont Mack added 19 to lead Charlotte to a 74-64 win over Rhode Island on Saturday night.
Goldwire connected on 10-of-21 from the floor, including 6-of-13 from 3-point range, and went 8-for-8 from the line to lead the 49ers to their fourth win in their last five games.
Kahiem Seawright led the Rams (21-10, 7-9 Atlantic 10) with 17 points and 15 rebounds.
Rhode Island led 38-35 at halftime, but the 49ers (18-12, 9-7) used a 13-2 run early in the second half to surge ahead 59-50.
The Rams closed to within 61-58 with 4:27 left on a pair of free throws by Lamonte Ulmer.
But Goldwire, who tied a school record for most games in a season with 30 points with six, knocked down a 3-pointer with 2:21 to go, giving Charlotte a 66-59 lead.
The Rams, who lost five of their last six, shot 34 percent from the field, and just 3-of-21 from 3-point range.
- Goldwire paces surging Charlotte past fading Rhode Island, 74-64
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?