Forbes and Harris score 20 points for UMass in 67-63 win over GW
WASHINGTON (AP)—Gary Forbes and Ricky Harris each scored 20 points as Massachusetts beat George Washington 67-63 in the Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season finale for both teams.
Massachusetts (21-9, 10-6), aiming for an NCAA bid, secured the No. 3 seed in the conference tournament and will play on March 13 against either No. 6 Charlotte or No. 11 Rhode Island. It was the sixth straight win for the Minutemen, who received 17 points and 10 rebounds from Etienne Brower.
Damian Hollis had 20 points and 11 rebounds for George Washington (9-17, 5-11), which did not qualify for the conference tourney and will be on the sidelines for post-season for the first time since 1974.
Forbes ended regular-season play with 610 points in 30 games to tie Dionte Christmas of Temple for the league lead. Christmas also had 610 points in 30 games.
Forbes’ basket with 3:30 left gave Massachusetts a 62-61 lead that it did not lose. Forbes hit another free throw with :23 left to make it 66-63.
Noel Wilmore of George Washington missed a 3-pointer with about 10 seconds left and Chris Lowe of Massachusetts got the loose ball and was fouled. He made one free throw with 8.1 seconds left to account for the final score.
- North Carolina-Texas Preview
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims