Mims’ 25 points leads Fla. St. to 75-72 overtime win over Miami
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP)—Ralph Mims scored 25 points, including the decisive basket of the game, to lead Florida State to a 75-72 win Saturday over Miami— the Seminoles fifth straight victory over their downstate rival.
Mims slashed down the lane for a layup with 1:49 left that gave the Seminoles a 75-70 lead and Miami’s Lance Hurdle hit two free throws 11 seconds later as both teams went scoreless the final 1:38.
The game went into overtime tied at 66 after Miami’s Jack McClinton watched his 3-point jumper rim out at the buzzer. Florida State’s Ryan Reid had tied the game with two free throws with 33 seconds left.
Florida State (18-13, 7-9 Atlantic Coast Conference) overcame an early 19-11 deficit to lead 32-30 at halftime in a contest that featured 17 ties and 13 lead changes.
Miami (21-9, 8-8 ACC) was whistled for 31 fouls and Florida State 22 in a wild game that saw the teams combine to shot 66 free throws.
Jason Rich and Toney Douglas each added 16 points for Florida State, which had lost twice earlier this season in ACC overtime games.
McClinton led the Hurricanes with 22 points and Brian Asbury added 12.
The start of the game was delayed 16 minutes due to a malfunctioning shot clock before officials decided to play without one and the public address announcer letting the players know when 10 seconds remained on the clock. The clock worked properly for much of the second half before failing a final time with about three minutes left in regulation.
- Gonzaga relishes being back in underdog role
- No. 2 Maryland loses at home to Wisconsin, 70-57
- Crazy play, crazier win: Duke stuns No. 7 Virginia at buzzer
- No. 22 Kentucky blows out South Carolina 89-62
- Rosco Allen's 25 leads Stanford past No. 11 Oregon
- No. 5 Xavier finds shooting touch in 74-57 blowout at Butler
- North Carolina rolls past Gonzaga 98-77
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56