Shuler scores 19 points in VCU’s 57-52 win over Akron
AKRON, Ohio (AP)—Jamal Shuler scored 19 points to lead Virginia Commonwealth to a 57-52 win over Akron on Saturday in an ESPN BracketBuster game.
Shuler’s 3-pointer with 5:49 remaining sparked a 10-5 run that helped the Rams build a 51-44 lead with 2:28 remaining.
Akron narrowed the gap to 51-49 with about a minute left, but Shuler, Joey Rodriguez and Michael Anderson closed out the game with free throws.
Eric Maynor added 14 points for the Rams (21-6), who have won two-straight.
Cedrick Middleton led Akron (19-8) with 17 points. Nick Dials and Jeremiah Wood each scored 14, and Wood also had 12 rebounds.
The loss snapped Akron’s two-game winning streak.
- South Carolina was fined 25K for storming the court last night. How about we have that money go to Haiti?
- No. 2 Maryland overpowers Bowie State 93-62
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson