Gibson scores 26 in UTSA win over Texas-Arlington, 80-72
SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Devin Gibson scored 26 points and had nine rebounds to lead Texas-San Antonio to an 80-72 victory over Texas-Arlington Wednesday night.
The Roadrunners’ hot shooting put them ahead by as many as 16 points in first half, and they never trailed in the second period.
Gibson scored 15 of his points in the first half, 10 of his team’s first 15 points, and added six assists and two steals on the night. He led four players in double figures for Texas-San Antonio (11-13, 5-6 Southland). Melvin Smith scored 16 and Keith Spencer added 10 points. JohnMark Ludwick hit 4-of-7 3-pointers to account for his 12 points.
The Mavericks (16-9, 5-7) were led by Rog’er Guignard’s 23 points, including 7-of-17 3-pointers. Jermaine Griffin added 18 points.
Texas-Arlington narrowed the Texas-San Antonio lead to 54-48 midway through the second half, but Ludwick was in the midst of hitting three consecutive 3-pointers, pushing the Roadrunner lead to 60-48. Layups by Joey Shank and Melvin Smith then put the Roadrunners up by 16 points with 8:16 to play.
The Mavericks outscored the Roadrunners 45-40 in the second half, but were outshot in the game 49 percent to 40 percent.
- Thin-skinned Jim Boeheim chastises Syracuse media
- Trier scores 18, No. 17 Arizona holds off UCLA 81-75
- Holder scores 20, Arizona State knocks off No. 23 USC, 74-67
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Monmouth stuns Rider late in 79-78 win
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold