Slater scores 17 to lead Lipscomb past SC Upstate 57-53
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP)—Josh Slater scored 17 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and had seven assists to lead Lipscomb to a 57-53 win over South Carolina Upstate on Thursday night.
The Bisons (13-13, 7-5 Atlantic Sun Conference) took the lead for good at 46-45 on Thomas Pfaff’s jumper with 8:27 to go. But they could never get the lead bigger than four points the rest of the way.
A dunk by Rashawn Brailsford cut Lipscomb’s lead to 55-53 with 42 seconds to go, and the Bisons missed a 3-pointer on their next possession.
But Luke Payne turned over the ball for the Spartans (6-20, 4-8) with five seconds left and LaKory Daniels hit two free throws to seal the win.
Lipscomb made 11 of its 15 free throws, while SC Upstate was just 1-of-5 from the foul line.
Payne led all scorers with 20 points, while Jeremy Byrd added 18 points and Bobby Davis had eight points and 11 rebounds for the Spartans.
Adnan Hodzig added 11 points for the Bisons.
- Faried leads Morehead State to 71-65 victory
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee
- White-hot Warney leads Stony Brook past Hartford 85-72
- Chattanooga gets 72-66 OT win over Mercer in SoCon showdown