Jackson St. 85, Southern U. 71
JACKSON, Miss. (AP)—Jeremy Caldwell had 22 points and 15 rebounds to lead Jackson State to a 85-71 victory over Southern University on Monday.
The win helps the Tigers (9-15, 7-4 Southwestern Athletic Conference) hold on to a share of second place in the conference.
Caldwell had only two points in the first half. But he scored 11 points during a three-minute span in the second as the Tigers outscored Southern 13-2 and turned a two-point lead into a 67-54 advantage with 7:44 left in the game.
Southern (8-14, 6-5) could get no closer than 12 points after that.
Darrion Griffin added 19 points and Grant Maxey and Garrison Johnson scored 13 each for Jackson State. The Tigers shot 53 percent for the game and forced 23 Southern turnovers.
Chris Davis led Southern with 26 points, Barry Honore’ had 11 and Julius Ingram chipped in 10.
Jackson State entered the game tied with four teams, including Southern, for second place in the conference, two games behind Alabama State.
- Jim Calhoun is the toughest human being alive
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69