Griffin’s inside play leads UTA past Texas State, 99-81
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP)—Jermaine Griffin dominated inside with 26 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks as Texas-Arlington beat Texas State 99-81 Saturday.
UTA (16-6, 5-4 Southland) wasn’t challenged for long, jumping to a 52-29 halftime lead on 53 percent shooting from the field. Texas State (11-11, 4-5) made only 8-of-32 shots in the dismal first half (25 percent).
Rog’er Guignard scored 19 points and had five assists for UTA, Jeremy Smith scored 13 points and Anthony Vereen added 11.
Larry Posey helped the Mavericks overpower Texas State on the boards, grabbing 12 rebounds. UTA outrebounded Texas State 53-42.
Matt Fullenwider led Texas State with 19 points, making five of his 10 3-point tries. Brandon Bush added 13 points and Brandon Thomas had 11.
But the Cowboys—who shot just 30 percent for the game—got no help from the bench. The six bench players went 5-of-29 from the field and made only one of 12 3-point tries.
- ACC Preview: Q&A with Florida State junior Michael Snaer
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56