White scores 16 as North Texas beats Fla. International, 60-57
DENTON, Texas (AP)—Josh White scored 16 points and made four free throws that put North Texas ahead for good in the second half of a 60-57 victory against Florida International on Saturday night.
White was 7-of-9 from the line for the Mean Green (14-7, 5-5 Sun Belt), including a 4-of-5 effort that turned a 53-52 deficit with 5:03 remaining into a 56-53 lead at the 3:11 mark.
Russell Hicks scored 18 points to lead the Golden Panthers (6-15, 3-8), and Alex Galindo scored 17.
Keith Wooden had six points on just 3-of-10 shooting for North Texas, but his layup with 58 seconds left pushed his team’s lead back to 58-55. After Florida International scored, Tristan Thompson hit two free throws with 11 seconds left for a 60-57 lead. Thompson was 7-of-7 from the line and finished with 11 points.
Florida International missed a tying 3-pointer at the buzzer.
White hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the final two minutes of the first half to give North Texas its largest lead at 32-20.
Hicks led the Golden Panthers back to start the second half, scoring 12 points on a 21-11 run that tied the score at 43 with 11:13 remaining. Neither team led by more than three after that.
- Ex-Washington guard Isaiah Thomas remains outspoken as ever
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win