Opacic’s career-best 21 leads Furman to 53-51 win over Citadel
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP)—Alex Opacic scored a career-high 21 points for Furman as the Paladins held on for a 53-51 victory over The Citadel on Wednesday night.
Cameron Wells missed a running 8-footer with three seconds left for The Citadel (5-15, 0-11 Southern Conference) in a game where neither team scored in the final 90 seconds.
Furman (4-17, 3-9) led 47-36 with 9:22 to go on Opacic’s scoop shot. The Bulldogs rallied, trailing 53-51 after Tyrell McDowell’s lay-up with 1:34 left, but didn’t score again.
The Citadel led 18-9 in the first half before Furman went on a 19-6 rally to take a four-point lead into halftime.
Wells led the Bulldogs with 17 points, while Austin Dahn added 14 points.
George Brozos scored nine for Furman.
- Lil' Romeo's underwhelming USC career comes to an end
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- Monmouth (NJ) cruises to 91-67 win over Fairfield
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team