Sanders’ 21 leads UC Irvine to 67-53 win over UC Riverside
IRVINE, Calif. (AP)—Patrick Sanders scored 21 points to lead UC Irvine to a 67-63 victory over UC Riverside on Saturday.
Darren Fells had 16 points and five rebounds and Michael Hunter added 10 points, seven rebounds and two blocks for the Anteaters (8-11, 3-3 Big West).
Sanders scored 12 of Irvine?s final 14 points of the first half to erase a nine-point deficit. His jumper with 7:10 left in the half ended an Anteater scoring drought that lasted nearly four minutes.
He then scored eight points in the half’s final two minutes, including a 25-foot 3-pointer with less than a second left in the half to give UC Irvine a 30-28 lead.
UC Riverside (4-14, 1-6) tied the score at 37-37 with 15:34 left in the game, but four points from Sanders and a Brett Lauer 3-pointer helped the Anteaters pull away.
Larry Cunningham led the Highlanders with 12 points and Jaloni Diggs added 11. Riverside fell to 0-11 on the road.
- Tragically, West Virginia’s Deniz Kilicli shaves his trademark beard
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78