Sargent leads S. Dakota St. to win
BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) - Clint Sargent scored a career-high 18 points to lead South Dakota State to a 66-62 win over Southern Utah Saturday in the Summit League.
With the win, SDSU (7-12, 2-6) surpassed its win total for all of last season.
Sargent was 7-for-14 from the field and had three of the Jackrabbits five 3-pointers. He also had seven rebounds and three assists.
SDSU shot 50 percent in the first half and took a 33-32 lead into halftime. The Jackrabbits also shot 50 percent in the second half to fight off the Thunderbirds (4-14, 2-5).
SUU’s biggest lead was two points on three occasions in the second half, the last time at 43-41 on Geoff Payne’s layup with 11:56 left in the game.
But the Jackrabbits went right back on top 44-43 on Sargent’s 3-pointer, and they never trailed again.
Kai Williams had 11 points, six rebounds and six assists for SDSU.
Payne led the Thunderbirds with 21 points. Dave Marek finished with 11 points.
- Avatar representations of the Final Four: UNC Tar Heels
- Trier scores 18, No. 17 Arizona holds off UCLA 81-75
- Holder scores 20, Arizona State knocks off No. 23 USC, 74-67
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Monmouth stuns Rider late in 79-78 win
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold