Green leads La Salle past Penn 62-58
PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Rodney Green scored 17 points and Yves Mekongo Mbala hit three crucial free throws in the final seconds to lead La Salle to a 62-58 victory over Penn on Tuesday night.
Kimmani Barrett scored 15 points and Jerrell Williams 10 for the Explorers (6-9), who had lost six straight to the Quakers.
Tyler Bernardini scored 20 points and Brian Grandieri 11 for Penn (5-10).
La Salle led 54-46 with 4:40 left to play and 59-54 at the 1:30 mark. But Grandieri scored four straight points and Penn closed to 59-58 with 31 seconds to go.
Mekongo Mbala hit two free throws with 20 seconds left and converted 1 of 2 with 4.9 seconds to go to seal the win.
Penn missed its first eight shots of the game, but used a 15-4 run to take a 17-10 lead and held a 29-24 lead at the half.
La Salle had shot only 68 percent from the line entering the game, but shot 25-for-30 from the stripe in the game.
- NCAA Riches to NBA Rags: No. 7, Billy Owens
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne