Jackson’s 27 points leads UTEP past SMU, 79-66
EL PASO, Texas (AP)—Stefon Jackson scored 27 points to help lead Texas-El Paso to a 79-66 win over SMU in the Conference USA opener for both teams.
Marvin Kilgore’s 3-pointer capped an 11-0 UTEP run to start the game. SMU responded with a 13-2 run to draw the score even, 13-13, at 12:35.
The Miners (10-4, 1-0) broke away over the next few minutes, led 38-26 at halftime and never relinquished the lead.
Randy Culpepper came off the bench to score 18 points for UTEP. Victor Ramalho added 14 points and led the team with 10 rebounds. Kilgore added 13 points.
Jon Killeen led SMU (6-8, 0-1) with 24 points, while Fall Bamba added 13 and Papa Dia had 12.
UTEP outrebounded SMU 40-30. UTEP converted SMU’s 19 turnovers into 27 points.
SMU coach Matt Doherty was ejected at 15:20 in the second half for a double technical foul.
- Still in Kelvin Sampson's corner: The Montana Tech Orediggers
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee