Doherty scores 20 to lift Holy Cross past BU 62-62
WORCESTER, Mass. (AP)—Pat Doherty scored a team-high 20 points, including eight in a decisive 14-6 run late in the game, to lift Holy Cross to a 65-62 victory over Boston University on Wednesday night.
After Scott Brittain scored inside to give the Terriers (3-9) a 44-43 lead, Colin Cunningham gave Holy Cross the lead for good with two free throws.
After a BU turnover, Doherty converted a 3-pointer. Corey Lowe answered for BU with a 3, but Doherty scored a jumper and another 3 around Greg McCarthy’s layup. Alex Vander Baan added a layup to give the Crusaders (8-3) a 56-49 lead with 2:17 remaining.
Cunningham and Tim Clifford each scored 16 for Holy Cross.
Lowe led the Terriers with 20, Carlos Strong had 18 and Brittain finished with 15.
Holy Cross led 21-20 at halftime, then opened the second half with an 8-1 run as Clifford and Cunningham each converted 3-pointers.
But Strong’s 3-pointer ignited a comeback for Boston University, which grabbed a 38-36 lead on two free throws by Lowe with 10:39 remaining. Clifford tied it with two free throws as the teams traded leads on the next seven possessions.
- Kentucky fans want UPS to pull ad featuring Laettner’s buzzer-beater
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78