Mendez hits game-winner jumper to lift Panthers over George Mason
ATLANTA (AP)—Leonard Mendez made a game-winner jumper as time expired, capping Georgia State’s second-half rally to beat George Mason 66-64 on Wednesday.
The Patriots (9-4, 1-1 Colonial Athletic Association) reached halftime with a 43-30 lead. Georgia State opened the second half with a 15-2 run, with a layup by Rashad Chase tying the game at 45 with 12:46 left.
Trae Goldston scored seven of his nine points during the spurt for the Panthers (4-8, 1-1).
George Mason took a 63-59 lead with just over three minutes remaining. But a 3-pointer by Mendez, followed by Justin Billingslea’s layup, put Georgia State ahead 64-63 with 34 second left.
Dre Smith tied the game at 64 on a free throw. Then Mendez, who finished with 19 points and five rebounds, hit the game-winner.
John Vaughan led George Mason with 18 points. Will Thomas added 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds, while Smith had 13 points and Floarin Campbell 12.
- Catching up with Tamir Goodman, aka 'The Jewish Jordan'
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78