Drake beats Southern Illinois for 10th straight win
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Josh Young scored 24 points to lead Drake past Southern Illinois 61-51 Wednesday night, matching the Bulldogs’ best-ever start and snapping a 17-game losing streak against the Salukis.
Young was 7-of-10 from the floor, including 2-of-4 from 3-point range. The Bulldogs (11-1, 2-0 Missouri Valley) were leading 47-43 when he sparked an 11-2 run with three free throws and a steal for a layup.
Leonard Houston then added a layup and Adam Emmenecker sank four free throws for a 58-45 lead with 2:35 remaining.
Klayton Korver scored 13 points and Houston added 12 points and seven rebounds for the Bulldogs, who have won 10 straight.
Wesley Clemmons scored 13 points for Southern Illinois (6-7, 1-1), 11 coming in the first half. Bryan Mullins added nine points.
Trailing early, Drake went on a 7-0 run capped by a 16-foot fall-away jumper by Young to give the Bulldogs a 14-8 lead.
Drake, which has led at halftime in every game, led 27-22 at the break.
The last time the Bulldogs were 11-1 was the 1969-70 season, and the last time they beat Southern Illinois was on Feb. 17, 1999—a 64-60 triumph.
- WVirginia-Louisville Preview
- Iowa State suspends Jameel McKay for violating team rules
- Macura's 20 points lead No. 6 Xavier over Marquette 90-82
- Ellis has double-double for No. 7 Kansas in 75-56 win at TCU
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M