Hanke records season highs to lead Providence over St. Peter’s
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP)—Randall Hanke had season-high totals of 23 points and 14 rebounds to lead Providence to an 83-78 win over St. Peter’s on Monday.
The Friars (9-3) overcame a 1-point halftime deficit and surged ahead in the second half, when St. Peter’s was held to 2-of-15 shooting from 3-point range.
Raul Orta had 18 points on 6-of-9 three-point shooting to lead St. Peter’s, but he was held to six points in the second half. The Peacocks (3-9) have now dropped seven in a row.
The Friars jumped out an early 9-point lead, but a 20-6 run capped by an Akeem Gooding jumper put St. Peter’s in front, 27-22, midway through the first half.
By halftime, St. Peter’s edged ahead, 45-44, mostly on its 3-point shooting prowess (7-12).
The Friars kept pace by shooting 61 percent (19 of 31) in the first half, with Hanke scoring 15 and Geoff McDermott (10) and Jeff Xavier (10) on 15-of-18 shooting.
Providence regained the lead on a layup by McDermott with 16:48 left in the game, and the Friars kept the lead the rest of the way.
Xavier finished with 18 points and seven assists.
- Kentucky, Duke prospects stand out at the Nike Hoop Summit
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69