McKiver scores 35 to lead Houston past Ark.-Pine Bluff, 76-65
HOUSTON (AP)—Robert McKiver scored 35 points and Houston shook off a slow start with a 23-0 run to beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 76-65 Saturday night, the Cougars’ 10th straight win.
McKiver finished two points shy of his season high in his third 30-point game of the season. He was 9-of-9 on free throws, including six in the final 2:46 to turn back the Golden Lions’ comeback try. He was just 4-of-13 from 3-point range but made seven of 10 inside the arc and had a game-high five steals.
Jarvis Gunter led the Arkansas-Pine Bluff (4-7) with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
The Cougars (11-1) took two minutes to get their first basket and trailed 27-24 before going on a 23-0 run that spanned both halves. Kelvin Lewis, who had 11 points, started the run with a 3-pointer that tied the score and a layup that put Houston ahead to stay.
Marcell Goins finally ended an eight-minute scoring drought with a basket for Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but Lewis hit another 3-pointer 16 seconds later for a 50-29 Houston lead with 15:47 remaining in the game.
The Golden Lions pulled within eight at 71-63 with 1:15 left, but McKiver’s free-throw shooting kept them from getting closer.
- Louisiana-Monroe edges Arkansas State 64-63
- UNC's Roy Williams: 'I feel fine' after vertigo attack at BC
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold
- Mississippi's Saiz returns from eye injury
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89