Taylor leads Central Florida to 70-59 win over Penn State
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP)—Jermaine Taylor scored 23 points and Mike O’Donnell had 16, leading Central Florida to a 70-59 victory against Penn State in the seventh-place game of the Old Spice Classic on Sunday.
Geary Claxton scored 22 points and Jamelle Cornley finished with 11 to pace Penn State (2-3), which has three November losses for the first time since 1978.
Central Florida (3-2) outscored Penn State 18-4 from the free-throw line en route to its first victory in seven attempts all-time against Big 10 opponents.
The Nittany Lions built an eight-point lead midway through the first half, but a pair of 3-pointers each by Taylor and O’Donnell helped the Knights take a 32-24 advantage into the break.
Central Florida hit four-of-seven shots from long range in the first half. Penn State made only three-of-17 from behind the arc before the intermission and five-of-31 overall.
UCF extended its lead to 11 points early in the second half, but Claxton scored seven points in a 9-0 run that trimmed the deficit to 37-35. Penn State never drew any closer as UCF pulled away.
The Old Spice Classic was being held at Walt Disney World.
- Shot from top of Vulcan Monument may be longest ever made
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- Monmouth (NJ) cruises to 91-67 win over Fairfield
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team