Carr, Simon score 15 as American tops Stony Brook 64-56
WASHINGTON (AP)—Bryce Simon scored a career-high 15 points and Garrison Carr added another 15 as American beat Stony Brook 64-56 on Sunday.
Trailing 42-40 with just under 15 minutes left in the game, American (2-2) rolled ahead with a 15-3 run, aided by transition buckets by Garrison Carr and Brian Gilmore. Gilmore scored six points in the spurt, including a pair on a right-handed jam after he scooped up a loose ball and took it coast to coast.
Stony Brook (0-4), which only led twice, nearly erased American’s late 57-48 lead with an 8-0 run in which the Seawolves went 6 for 8 from the free-throw line. But the Eagles made seven of their last eight free throws to avoid squandering a halftime lead for the third game in a row.
Ricky Lucas led Stony Brook with 17 points and Jermol Paul added 14.
Derrick Mercer scored 11 points and had eight assists for the Eagles, who made a season-high nine 3-pointers
- California 76, No Carolina St 74 (ot)
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Louisiana-Monroe knocks off Arkansas-Little Rock 86-82
- Boise State tries to rebound from controversial ending