Kemp’s 23 points lifts Nevada over Santa Clara, 67-54
RENO, Nev. (AP)—Marcelus Kemp scored 23 points to lead Nevada over Santa Clara 67-54 on Saturday.
Kemp had 16 of his points in the second half, including seven in a 15-2 run over the first six minutes that put the Wolf Pack (2-1) ahead 41-27.
Santa Clara responded with an 11-2 run to cut the Nevada lead to 43-38 with 8:46 to play, but could get no closer the rest of the way. John Bryant led the Broncos (2-1) with 20 points.
The Wolf Pack sealed the win with a 12-0 run, taking its largest lead of the game at 62-44 on three free throws by Malik Cook with 3:54 left. Armon Johnson and Brandon Fields added 13 each for Nevada (2-1).
Calvin Johnson finished with 14 points for Santa Clara, which stayed close in the first half by hitting 5 of 9 3-pointers.
Nevada led 26-25 at halftime. The Wolf Pack shot 54 percent for the game, including 62 percent in the second half. .
The Broncos shot 46.7 percent for the game. Santa Clara out-rebounded Nevada 27-25.
- Derrick Caracter is sweaty and fit and more diplomatic than ever
- Syracuse dominates Florida State 85-72
- UNC spokesman: Williams expected back at next practice
- Marquette beats No. 20 Providence 96-91 in double overtime
- Freeman, Prince lead No. 21 Baylor past K-State, 82-72
- Walton, Michigan hang on to beat Minnesota 82-74