Williams scores 38 as VMI beats West Va. Wesleyan 135-81
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Reggie Williams scored 21 of his 38 points in a dominating first half as VMI beat West Virginia Wesleyan 135-81 Wednesday.
VMI (1-2) used 59 percent shooting and 10 3-pointers in the first half to pull away from the Bobcats and lead 84-33 going into the break. VMI’s 3-point shooting cooled in the second half, and the team finished 13-55 beyond the arc.
Ryan Hoehner hit two layups and Jared Chafin sank one and a 3-pointer as West Virginia Wesleyan (0-1) went on a 9-0 run that brought VMI’s lead to 92-50 with 15:32 remaining. It was the closest the Bobcats could get, with VMI pulling ahead by as many as 65 in the half.
Travis Holmes had 18 points for VMI, Hunter Houston added 16, Austin Kenon had 14 and Willie Bell had 13. Adam Lonon contributed nine assists and five steals.
Justin Caldwell led the Bobcats with 15 points, followed by Hoehner with 12 and Karolis Stupnianek with 10.
VMI had 26 steals, as West Virginia Wesleyan turned the ball over 39 times.
The Keydets’ full-court press and lightning-fast tempo helped them finish No. 1 in the country last season in points (100.9), assists (20.6), steals (14.8) and 3-pointers (13.4) per game.
- Williams scores 38 as VMI beats West Va. Wesleyan 135-81
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78