Stallworth scores 14 to lead Morehead win over W. Illinois
MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP)—Maze Stallworth scored 14 points as Morehead State beat Western Illinois 61-49 Tuesday night.
Stallworth hit a free throw to break a 47-47 tie, then connected on a 3-pointers as the Eagles (1-1) built a 51-47 lead and pulled away for the win. Kenneth Faried added 13 for Morehead, and Leon Buchanan scored 10.
David Nurse led the Leathernecks (1-1) with 14 points.
Western Illinois led 36-29 with 12:36 left, but Morehead was 10-of-12 from the free throw line in the final 2:28 for the win.
The Eagles were 6-of-16 from 3-point range, compared with Western Illinois’ 2-of-12 shooting. Morehead also made 17 of 21 free throws, while Western Illinois was 11-of-18.
- Irving’s return is encouraging for Duke and fans
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- Monmouth (NJ) cruises to 91-67 win over Fairfield
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team