Saint Joseph’s 66, Temple 62
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP)—Ahmad Nivins had 18 points and 11 rebounds and freshman Jawan Carter hit two go-ahead free throws with 1:05 to play to lead Saint Joseph’s to a 66-62 victory over Temple in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament on Wednesday night.
Carter also hit a big 3-pointer to wake up the sixth-seeded Hawks (18-13) with 3:09 to go, and Pat Calathes added four free throws in the final 23 seconds in beating 11th-seeded Temple (12-18) for the third time this season.
The loss not only ended the Owls’ season, it also ended their 23-year run of reaching postseason play.
Saint Joseph’s will face third-seeded George Washington (20-8) in one of four second-round games at Boardwalk Hall on Thursday.
Calathes and Carter finished with 13 points apiece for Saint Joseph’s, which came into the tournament with a three-game losing streak.
Mark Tyndale had 22 points for Temple. Ryan Brooks added 15 and Dustin Salisbery had 12.
- Northern Iowa defeats Illinois State 70-60
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69