Florida A&M 61, Hampton 58
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Jon Mason had 12 points off the bench to lead three Florida A&M players in double figures as the Rattlers defeated Hampton 61-58 in the quarterfinals of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament on Wednesday.
Brian Greene scored 11 points for the No. 2 seeded Rattlers (19-13) and Rome Sanders had 10.
Hampton trailed 58-55 and had the ball in the final minute after forcing a Florida A&M turnover, but Matthew Pilgrim threw a 30-foot air ball with 23.8 seconds left.
The Rattlers made two of four free throws in the final seconds, and Rashad West’s running 3-pointer with 1.4 seconds left wasn’t enough to give Hampton the upset.
The game was tied 22-22 at halftime.
Florida A&M will play in the semifinals Friday against the winner of Thursday’s game between North Carolina A&T and Norfolk State.
West, who was playing in his hometown, scored 25 points for seventh-seeded Hampton (15-16).
- Three schools will don LeBron James brand jerseys next year
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69