Coppin St. 56, Bethune-Cookman 44
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Tywain McKee scored 19 points to help Coppin State defeat Bethune-Cookman 56-44 during the opening round of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament Tuesday night.
Antwan Harrison added 16 points for Coppin State (12-19), which led 24-21 at halftime. The eighth-seeded Eagles will take on top-seeded Delaware State on Wednesday.
Coppin State shot 43.5 percent to Bethune-Cookman’s 50 percent, and the Eagles hit only 30 percent of their 3-point attempts. But they hit 62.5 percent from the free throw line compared to 46.7 percent by ninth-seeded Bethune-Cookman (9-21).
Both teams scored 24 points in the paint.
Dewayne Pettus led Bethune-Cookman with 17 points, while Jimmy Hudson added 12 points. Ron Mitchell grabbed a game-high six rebounds for the Wildcats.
- No. 2 in The Untouchables: Pete Maravich’s absurd career scoring average
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons