North Texas 77, Louisiana Monroe 71, OT
LAFAYETTE, La. (AP)—Ben Bell hit a key three-pointer in overtime and Kendrick Davis made four free throws in the final 26 seconds as North Texas beat Louisiana-Monroe 77-71 in overtime in the quarterfinals of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament on Sunday.
Bell’s three-pointer put North Texas (21-10) up by four points with 2:33 left in overtime and Harold Stewart added three free throws in the next 40 seconds to give the Mean Green a 73-66 lead.
Louisiana-Monroe missed its last five shots from the field in the extra period and Davis hit two clinching free throws for North Texas.
Louisiana-Monroe (18-13) led 62-59 with 2:40 left in regulation on three throws by Tony Hoope. But Calvin Watson hit a game-tying three-pointer for North Texas.
Watson had 19 points to lead North Texas while Stewart added 16 points and 11 rebounds. Hooper had 25 points to lead the Warhawks, while Jordan Payne scored 12.
- Breakfast Buffet: Duke, Kansas State set up dream matchup
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four