Mississippi St. 91, Alabama 67
STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP)—Charles Rhodes had 18 points and four blocks to lead Mississippi State to its first division title since 2004 with a 91-67 win over Alabama Sunday.
Mississippi State (17-12, 8-8) finishes the season tied for the Southeastern Conference Western Division’s top spot with in-state rival Mississippi. With its 7-3 division record, Mississippi State wins the tiebreaker and will have a No. 1 seed in the SEC tournament.
The West title is a league-high fifth for the Bulldogs. The loss drops the Tide to fifth place in the division.
Alabama (20-10, 7-9) led early in the game, but by halftime the Bulldogs had amassed a 41-29 lead they would never lose.
Mississippi State had 11 steals and forced 21 turnovers.
Sophomore guard Reginald Delk had 16 points followed by freshman Ben Hansbrough’s 13 and Jamont Gordon’s 11. Jarvis Varnado and senior Dietric Slater each added 10 points.
Varnado’s 10 points and eight rebounds are both personal SEC highs.
Alabama center Jemareo Davidson led the Tide with 16.
- Pepperdine guard Keion Bell dunks over seven people
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78