Rider 77, Iona 62
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP)—Jason Thompson scored 24 points and grabbed 16 rebounds Friday night to lead Rider to a 77-62 win over Iona in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament.
The seventh-seeded Broncs (16-14) will play No. 2-seeded Niagara in the quarterfinals on Saturday.
Justin Marshall scored 16 points and Devon Clarke added 10 for Iona (2-28). The Gaels completed their season with the fewest victories in the program’s 62-year history. Their wins were over Rider and Delaware.
Rider led by 13 at the half and withstood an early 8-2 run by the Gaels. Rider built its lead back to double digits two minutes later and Iona never recovered. Harris Mansell scored 18 points for Rider.
The Broncs shot 48 percent from the floor and finished with a 37-32 edge on the boards.
- Jimmer Fredette’s awesome Sports Illustrated cover
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin