Iowa St. 69, Nebraska 63
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP)—Wesley Johnson scored a career-high 22 points as Iowa State built a 16-point lead midway through the first half, then turned back three Nebraska surges to win 69-63 Wednesday.
Mike Taylor added 19 for Iowa State (15-14, 6-9 Big 12), which led the entire second half and held Nebraska to 38 percent shooting.
The Cyclones led by 11 at halftime. But Nebraska (16-12, 5-9 Big 12) hit four of its first six shots in the second half during a 13-3 run that pulled the Huskers within 39-35 after a dunk by Aleks Maric with 15:40 remaining.
The Cyclones then put together an 11-4 run to take a 50-39 lead on Dodie Dunson’s 3-pointer with 9:16 left.
The Huskers came within three on Maric’s hook shot in the lane with 2:45 left, but Taylor extended the lead to 60-54 after hitting a short jumper and converting the free throw.
Iowa State took control in the first half with a 21-4 run highlighted by eight straight points from Mike Taylor, who hit a pair of 3-pointers. Taylor then gave the Cyclones a 20-8 lead with a spinning reverse dunk with 12:03 remaining in the half.
Nebraska hit three of its first five shots, then went two for its next 15, falling behind 26-10 with 9:10 left in the half.
Nebraska made only 13 of 23 free throws.
Iowa State hit 48 percent of its shots and was 15 of 25 from the line.
Corey McIntosh finished with 14 points for Iowa State.
Maric had 36 to lead Nebraska, and Ryan Anderson added 10 points.
- Iowa St. 69, Nebraska 63
- The 10 highest-paid college basketball coaches
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook