Davidson 87, The Citadel 70
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—Bryant Barr scored 21 points—all 3-pointers—to lead Davidson to an 87-70 win against The Citadel in Southern Conference action Saturday.
Davidson had already wrapped up the regular season title and will get a bye in the first round of the conference tournament that starts Wednesday at the North Charleston Coliseum. The Citadel finishes at the bottom of the standings and will play the No. 6 seed Wednesday night.
The Wildcats (26-4, 17-1 SoCon) started out with an 16-0 run led by Stephen Curry who hit three of Davidson’s 10 first-half 3-pointers during that run. Curry, who was in foul trouble early in the game, finished with 18 points. William Archambault went 4-of-4 from long range for 12 points. Jason Richards added 11 points and had eight assists and four rebounds.
The Citadel (7-22, 4-14) got their first points with 14:14 left in the half when senior guard Kevin Hammack hit from long range. Hammack and J’Mel Everhart led the Bulldogs with 14 points each. Demetrius Nelson added 12 points, Donny McLendon had 11 and Vytautas Valiulis added 10.
Davidson outrebounded The Citadel 39-19.
The Wildcats extended their first half lead to as much as 24 points at the 2:39 mark when Barr hit his fourth 3-pointer, making the score 46-22. Davidson would lead by as much as 26 with 3:06 left in the game.
The Wildcats were up 51-29 at the half.
- Johnson leads Miami past No. 7 Duke 78-74 in OT
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Miami-Duke Preview
- NCAA rules Florida's Gak ineligible to play in 2016-17
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan
- Alabama AD completes cancer treatment, cleared to go home