Oregon St. 73, Washington 65
CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP)—Josh Tarver had 16 points and seven assists to lead Oregon State to a 73-65 win over Washington Thursday night.
Marcel Jones added 15 points for the Beavers (11-18, 3-13 Pac-10), whose previous conference wins had come against Arizona State. Wesley Washington had 14 points.
Spencer Hawes had 22 points for the Huskies(16-11, 6-9), whose NCAA Tournament hopes are dim after three straight losses. Jon Brockman added 14 points and 14 rebounds and Quincy Pondexter had 13 points.
The Beavers entered the game two losses away from becoming the first Oregon State squad to lose 20 games since 2000-01. The Beavers had 14 steals, with four apiece from Tarver and Washington, and shot 42 free throws.
The Huskies, who entered the game second in the conference in scoring, behind Arizona, missed their season average by 13 points.
The Beavers led 9-2 and 14-8 before the Huskies made a run toward the end of the half, taking their first lead at 20-18 on back-to-back scores from Hawes. The Beavers led 24-22 at halftime after Tarver’s buzzer-beating 3-pointer.
Oregon State made just 4 of 12 free throws in the first half and was outrebounded 23-12.
The Beavers’ started quickly after the half. Oregon State’s lead went to nine points on Jack McGillis’ catch-and-shoot 3, 11 on an alley-oop from Tarver to Jones, and then 13 on McGillis’ fast-break layup off a steal to make it 44-31 with 9:13 left.
Brockman made two free throws for the Huskies but Jones countered with a 3 to push the lead to 14.
That proved too big a deficit for Washington to recover from, and it got no closer than six points. The Huskies, who entered the game tied for seventh in the conference with California, have two of their final three regular-season games against ranked teams—No. 23 Oregon Saturday and fourth-ranked UCLA a week later.
McGillis had 11 points for the Beavers, who face No. 9 Washington State on Saturday.
- Oregon St. 73, Washington 65
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four