Nicholls St. 93, Northwestern St. 92
NATCHITOCHES, La. (AP)—Stefan Blaszczynski sank a free throw with 0.5 seconds left Thursday night to lift visiting Nicholls State to a 93-92 Southland Conference basketball win at Northwestern State, giving the Colonels their first win in their last 12 tries against the Demons.
Nicholls (7-20, 6-7 SLC) won for the fourth time in five games. The game featured 31 lead changes and 14 ties, and was Nicholls’ first victory over Northwestern (13-13, 8-5) since 2002.
Blaszczynski scored 18 points, had nine rebounds, three assists and three steals. He was fouled on a loose ball underneath the Nicholls basket after the Colonels missed two tries for a tie-breaking basket in the final 12 seconds.
Blaszczynski missed the first free throw after a Demons’ timeout, and weathered another timeout before getting the game-winning free throw to roll in after it hit the left side of the rim and the backboard.
Northwestern tried a court-length pass that was batted away on the final play.
The Demons tied the game with 12 seconds left on two free throws by Kennan Jones, who had 11 points and nine assists but seven turnovers. Luke Rogers scored a game-high 26 points. Colby Bargeman added 23 while Trey Gilder matched Jones’ 11 points.
Gil Verner shared Nicholls’ scoring honors with 18 points, while Adonis Gray had 17, Justin Payne 15 and Ryan Bathie 12. Payne also had 10 assists.
Both teams sank 14 3-point baskets.
- Nicholls St. 93, Northwestern St. 92
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina