South Carolina St. 76, Coppin St. 65
ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP)—Derrick Davis scored 22 points to lead South Carolina State to a 76-65 win over Coppin State on Monday night.
The Bulldogs (11-15, 9-7 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) controlled the second half, turning a two-point deficit at halftime into a 56-44 lead with 9:38 to go in the game.
The Eagles (8-18, 6-8) cut their deficit to 65-57 with 4:29 to go, but South Carolina State hit its free throws down the stretch to secure the win.
The Bulldogs made 18 of 23 free throws, compared to 12-of-23 shooting from the foul line for Coppin State.
South Carolina State outrebounded the Eagles 33-24.
Travis Jones added 16 points and Julius Carter had 14 points for the Bulldogs.
Tywain McKee and Augustine Woodlin each scored 14 points for Coppin State.
- Florida fans nearly tricked into distracting free throw shooter
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Former Butler basketball star Joel Cornette dies at age 35
- Hamilton signs with Texas Tech after 3 seasons at DePaul
- Georgetown-Syracuse December game to honor Pearl Washington