South Carolina St. 76, Coppin St. 65
ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP)—Derrick Davis scored 22 points to lead South Carolina State to a 76-65 win over Coppin State on Monday night.
The Bulldogs (11-15, 9-7 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) controlled the second half, turning a two-point deficit at halftime into a 56-44 lead with 9:38 to go in the game.
The Eagles (8-18, 6-8) cut their deficit to 65-57 with 4:29 to go, but South Carolina State hit its free throws down the stretch to secure the win.
The Bulldogs made 18 of 23 free throws, compared to 12-of-23 shooting from the foul line for Coppin State.
South Carolina State outrebounded the Eagles 33-24.
Travis Jones added 16 points and Julius Carter had 14 points for the Bulldogs.
Tywain McKee and Augustine Woodlin each scored 14 points for Coppin State.
- South Carolina St. 76, Coppin St. 65
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0