Lipscomb 55, Belmont 50
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Eddie Ard scored 17 points and Lipscomb pulled away in the second half for a 55-50 win Friday night over Belmont.
Lipscomb (11-7, 5-2 Atlantic Sun Conference) trailed 25-24 at the half but rallied to go ahead 45-33 and then held off a late charge by the host Bruins (12-6, 6-1).
Lipscomb led 51-40 with 1:15 left before Belmont made the final score seem closer than the game really was.
The Bisons hit 16-of-29 free throws to Belmont’s 5-of-8.
Trey Williams was the only other Lipscomb player in double figures, with 10. Ard also had a game-high eight rebounds.
Belmont had just one player in double figures, Henry Harris with 13, including a 3-pointer with a minute left during the Bruins’ late rally.
Lipscomb shot just 36.7 percent from the floor while Belmont hit 38 percent.
The game was a rematch of last season’s Atlantic Sun Tournament title game in Johnson City, won by Belmont.
The Nashville matchup is called the “Battle of the Boulevard” because the two schools are just a couple of miles apart on the same road.
- Breakfast Buffet: Bucky Badger makes a wedding appearance
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- Hayes, Brown lead Wisconsin to 72-61 win over Nebraska
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics