SMU 64, TCU 62
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)—Dez Willingham’s 3-pointer at the buzzer lifted visiting SMU to a 64-62 win over regional rival TCU on Thursday.
The bucket, which accounted for Willingham’s only points of the game, was the fourth lead change in the final 17 seconds.
A 3-pointer by Brett Hackett put TCU ahead 60-59 with 17 seconds left. But the Mustangs (9-1) responded with 14 seconds left when Jon Killen hit two free throws.
TCU’s Ryan Wall made a pair of free throws with eight seconds left, putting the Horned Frogs (7-4) up 62-61. That set the stage for Willingham’s game-winner.
Donatas Rackauskas led SMU with 13 points and nine rebounds. Derrick Roberts also scored 13 points, Devon Pearson had 11 points and seven rebounds and Killen added 10 points and seven assists.
For TCU, Alvardo Parker finished with 14 points and five rebounds. Wall had 13 points and four assists and Kevin Langford had 11 points and six rebounds.
This is the third time in four seasons that the SMU-TCU game has been decided by three points or less.
- Rybak sparks Texas State to 97-92 overtime victory
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics
- No. 6 Kansas beats No. 10 West Virginia, 75-65
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout