Southern Miss 94, Sam Houston 86
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP)—Jeremy Wise scored 27 points to lead Southern Mississippi to 94-86 win over Sam Houston State on Thursday.
The Golden Eagles took an early lead despite hitting only 10-of-21 free throws in the first half.
Wise, who scored 20 of his points in the first half, made a pair of 3-pointers in the final four minutes of the half to give the Eagles a 48-45 halftime lead.
The Eagles used a 14-0 run midway through the second half to take the lead for good.
Jejuan Plair led Sam Houston (4-3) with 27 points.
Wise has scored in double figures in all five games this season, and led six other Golden Eagles in double digits on Thursday.
Jarvis Hill scored 16 points and Demar Dotson added 14 and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Eagles. Courtney Beasley scored 13 points and had a game-high 13 rebounds while Andre Stephens tacked on 12 points and Sai’Quon Stone added 10.
Ryan Bright scored 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds for Sam Houston and Jeremy Thomas chipped in 14.
Southern Miss (5-0) is off to its best start in four years.
- Wells leads Maryland to 75-62 win over Wake
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M
- Hield's 3-pointer lifts No. 3 Oklahoma past No. 24 Texas
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee