Illinois 84, Florida A&M 63
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP)—Trent Meacham scored 24 points Sunday in 8-of-13 three-point shooting to lift Illinois to a 84-63 victory over a stubborn Florida A&M basketball team.
The Rattlers held a 38-34 halftime lead as Leslie Robinson poured in 12 points in a first half that saw the lead change three times before the visitors opened up a 17-15 lead at 13:54 on a Rome Sanders layup.
Illinois (4-0) was sluggish at the start of the second half, as Florida A&M (1-3) was able to respond to every score by the Fighting Illini.
The Illini began to chip away at the Rattlers’ lead and came within three when Meacham sank a three-pointer at 17:08 to make it 43-40. Illinois took its first lead of the second half, 54-53 at 11:46, when Calvin Brock sank a free throw.
Brock had 10 points for the Illini. Chester Frazier had only 2 points on 2-for-2 free-throw shooting in the first half, but finished with 13 points and 10 assists.
Sanders led Florida A&M with 22 points. Foul trouble limited Robinson to three points in the second half, and he finished with 15.
- Dwayne Polee transfers, leaving St. John’s with just one returner
- West Virginia forward Jonathan Holton reinstated to team
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Western Carolina upsets SoCon leader Chattanooga 67-61
- UNC spokesman: Williams expected back at next practice
- Marquette beats No. 20 Providence 96-91 in double overtime