N. Iowa 54, LSU 50
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Grant Stout scored a season-high 18 points to lead Northern Iowa to a 54-50 victory over LSU in a Las Vegas Holiday Classic game Monday.
With Northern Iowa trailing 36-33, Stout hit two shots to put his team ahead for good. Stout’s third basket and a 3-pointer by John Little gave the Panthers a 45-38 lead.
Trailing 49-47, the Tigers had an opportunity to tie the score, but Garrett Temple lost the ball with 1:04 remaining.
Erik Crawford, who scored Northern Iowa’s last seven points, then hit a 3-pointer to put the Panthers up 52-47. After Darrel Mitchell made another 3-pointer, Crawford iced the victory by making two foul shots with 15.2 seconds left.
Crawford and Ben Jacobson joined Stout in double figures with 12 and 11 points, respectively. The Panthers (8-1) were able to battle the Tigers evenly on the boards. LSU, which had a rebound margin of 23 against its opponents in the first seven games, outrebounded Northern Iowa 31-30.
Darrel Mitchell led the Tigers (6-2) with 22 points and scored all but seven of the Tigers’ 23 second-half points. Glen Davis had 13 points for LSU.
- Malcolm Gladwell still talking about the full-court press
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78