Bucknell 83, Cornell 39
LEWISBURG, Pa. (AP)—Chris McNaughton’s spinning baseline layup sparked a 20-0 first-half run and freshman Jason Vegotsky had a career-high 12 points as Bucknell defeated Cornell 83-39 on Saturday.
Bucknell (6-1) shot 61 percent as 12 of 13 players that saw court time scored for the Bison. McNaughton had 12 points while Kevin Bettencourt and Abe Badmus each chipped in 11.
Cornell (3-6) struggled offensively, shooting just 26 percent, and fell to 0-5 on the road this year. It’s also the third game this season that Cornell failed to score 50 points.
With the game tied at 10, Bucknell knocked down several wide-open 3-point shots, quickly extending its lead to 30-10. Adam Gore’s 3-pointer at the 6:18 mark broke Cornell’s scoring drought, which spanned more than seven minutes. Gore finished with 9 points, shooting just 2 of 8 from 3-point range. Lenny Collins led the Big Red with 12 points.
Leading 39-17, Bucknell closed out the first half with a 12-0 run as Vegotsky’s 3-pointer from the top of the key gave the Bison a 51-17 advantage. Bucknell pulled down as many rebounds (17) as Cornell had points in the first half.
Bucknell maintained a comfortable lead throughout the second half, as Cornell could not come any closer than 31 points. The Bison improved to 6-1 for the first time since 1983-84.
- Justice, sort of: Houston's Coleman gets one-game suspension
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne