Belmont 86, Wright St. 80
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Justin Hare scored 30 points and grabbed 4 rebounds to lead Belmont to a season-opening 86-80 victory over Wright State Saturday.
Hare went 8-of-9 from the line and 4-for-4 in three-point shots for the Bruins (1-0) in the non-conference game. Boomer Herndon had 16 points.
DaShaun Wood led Wright State (0-1) with 29. Drew Burleson contributed 14 and Jordan Pleiman 12 for the Raiders.
Wood shot 9-of-11 from the free-throw line and Burleson shot 4-of-6.
Belmont outrebounded Wright State 37-29 and beat them 8-4 on second chance points.
The score was tied five times during the game in which the Raiders led at the end of the first period, 37-30. Belmont came back with 56 points in the second period over Wright State’s 43.
The Bruins tied with the Raiders on points in the paint, 36. Wright State scored 14 points off turnovers while Belmont gained 12.
For just the second time since 2000, Belmont opened its season at home.
- George Washington tops Charlotte 92-88 in OT
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Louisiana-Monroe knocks off Arkansas-Little Rock 86-82
- Boise State tries to rebound from controversial ending