Marshall 54, Miami (Ohio) 47
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP)—A.W. Hamilton and Mark Patton scored 14 points apiece and Patton added 11 rebounds to lead Marshall to a 54-47 upset over Miami of Ohio on Saturday.
Enoch Bunch also hit double-figures, scoring nine of his 11 points in the second half for Marshall (6-21, 3-15 Mid-American Conference).
Josh Hausfeld and William Hatcher scored 12 apiece on four 3-pointers to pace Miami (18-9, 12-6). Danny Horace, who came in leading the RedHawks with 15.4 points per game, scored nine of his 11 in the second half.
Hamilton hit four free throws down the stretch to seal the win for Marshall.
After both teams had not scored in over four minutes, the first pair of Hamilton free throws made it a two-possession game and gave Marshall 52-47 with 27 seconds left.
Marshall’s defense held Miami scoreless over the last 4:48 of the contest.
Marshall never held a double-digit lead in the contest, but led from start to finish with Miami tying the game twice.<
- Ready or not, here comes Clark Kellogg (and we're not)
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four